Raspberry Pi Action Camera « My Site/Blog
Untitled Document

Raspberry Pi Action Camera

It’s been a while since I’ve made a post however, that is not due to lack of projects. Almost six years after setting my eyes on the Makerbot Cupcake CNC, I finally purchased a 3D printer and have been putting it to (hopefully) good use. I felt as though I had reached a point where fabricating enclosures was the main reason my projects weren’t going forward. I’ll probably spend another post talking about the printer but I thought I would share my first project (and 4th and 5th prints).

I picked up a GoPro as a safety measure while riding my bike and wanted to get a second so I could record forwards and backwards. The GoPro was a nice start however, it wasn’t really suited for taking extended video (say on a multi-hour ride). I didn’t really like the idea of having to carry multiple batteries around with me and then having to stop to swap them out. Right around this time, a new Raspberry Pi model came out called the A+, a small, stripped-down, low-power version of the A. It looked perfect. A quick search on Google gave me a few results for people who had turned their Pis into cameras, and found a post with some great information on how to go about doing it.

Knowing the idea was plausible, the next step was to figure out how to build it. I’m in a transition period with modeling software so I opted to use some designs already on Thingiverse (just for the prototype). I printed out cases for the camera module and for the A+ and had two great platforms to work with. I then set about wiring up the necessary connections. I didn’t want to alter the Pi too much so I soldered my connections to the bottom of the headers. I also spent some time removing the headers on the bluetooth-serial module to save that extra bit of space. Two holes were then drilled in the back of the case for the start and stop buttons, completing the build. Check out the photos below:

IMG_9870

IMG_9874

IMG_9876

IMG_9879

You can also watch this, somewhat, embarrassing video of me demonstrating the camera quality (the video is from the Pi, photo booth is so you can see the camera is shooting and the other monitor shows the video from the camera):

One thing to note is that I had to edit the camcorder script to work with the new 40 pin headers on the newer Pis. GPIO.setmode was changed to board, and the pins were updated from 23 and 24 to 33 and 35. There are a host of additional updates I’d like to make to the py script as well as to the hardware of the camera. Once I’m happy with where the project is I will do a full, detailed, writeup.

Untitled Document

1 comment

leave a response

Untitled Document